Recapping this week’s DJH
Mindsets for Success
Learn On Your Own
In school they taught you to memorize dates and math formulas. Not very useful for your career.
But that’s okay, you are still empowered to learn relevant skills on your own. You can take a course, try a 30-day PDP, and document your work to build a portfolio and be your own credential. No school needed.
What will you learn this week, month, or year?
Keep It Playful
Struggling with your boss? Feel frustrated with your work culture? Maybe it’s time to find a better job.
OR maybe you just need to choose a new attitude!
If you’re taking life and work so seriously that you feel defensive, see if you can lighten up and be playful. You can still be assertive to set boundaries, but do so from a free and empowered place.
Links Worth Checking Out
- How to Prepare for a Successful Job Interview
- Short Little Custom Pitch Deck
- How to Get Your First Sales Job Right Out of College
- Taking a Walk as a Revolutionary Act
Quote of the Week
“How do we keep our inner fire alive? Two things, at minimum, are needed: an ability to appreciate the positives in our life – and a commitment to action. Every day, it’s important to ask and answer these questions: ‘What’s good in my life?’ and ‘What needs to be done?’”― Nathaniel Branden
Follow Your Passion(s)
The standard advice of “follow your passion” puts a lot of pressure on us!
- Pick ONE thing to commit to forever.
- If you don’t know your passion yet, feel bad about yourself and hope you can be like those other people who’ve figured it out.
- Be sure your paycheck and passion are tied together
It can be daunting.
What if we added just one letter to this advice.
Follow your passions.
Ah, this broadens it up, now doesn’t it?
Now you can still get in touch with your desires and wants, while not pressuring yourself to do one thing, or even to make it a career.
The truth is you are a dynamic person likely with several interests. Find ways to express them all! And allow yourself to grow and shift and evolve over time, as you build self-knowledge.
Be you. Come alive in the ways that work for you.
and the DJH Team
The Career Hackers Revolution
- Career hacking is about the relentless pursuit of discovering and doing what makes you come alive. Here are the core principles in the Career Hackers Manifesto.
- See two of our top posts: How to Make a Video Pitch and 100 Ways to Work Out Loud, so you can skip the resume and degree and be your own credential. See more on the Start Here page.
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow Joel on LinkedIn
- Want audio? Head to the Daily Job Hunt Podcast.