Recapping this week’s DJH
Mindsets for Success
You Can Quit
You can’t change the people around you, but you can change the people you’re around. If you’re at a company that doesn’t fit you and your values, you can quit. Go where you’re celebrated, not where you’re tolerated.
In today’s noisy world, be a stickler to protect your attention and focus.”Multi-tasking” is not actually a helpful skill. It doesn’t even exist. It’s really just perpetual task switching resulting in lots of attention residue. Instead, carve out periods of deep work to build the meaningful projects that truly create value for yourself and others.
Links Worth Checking Out
- Waiting Tables Completely Changed My Life
- The Tighter the (self-imposed) Constraint, the More Freeing
Quote of the Week
“Great jobs, world-class jobs, jobs people kill for… those jobs don’t get filled by people emailing in resumes. Ever.”
– Seth Godin
Constraints Breed Freedom and Creativity
Allow me to hammer home the point: constraints breed freedom and creativity.
– give yourself 2 hours to do focused work (rather than an open-ended amount of time)
– commit to recording 5 podcasts episodes (rather than an indefinite number)
– choose the first pretty good thing you see on the restaurant menu (rather than get overwhelmed with choices)
– pick a form of writing like haiku to simplify and gamify the task
– make a rule to land jobs by NOT using a resume (to become more imaginative)
– limit yourself to social media only on certain days
Now, these “rules” need to be self-generated and self-chosen, not some dogmatic doctrine to follow blindly.
But like a jazz musician thrives in improvising when she knows her scales and music theory, you can thrive and flourish by building structure, guidelines, boundaries, and constraints into your daily life and career.
All so you can build the meaningful and joyous life you crave.
and the DJH Team
The Career Hackers Revolution
- Career hacking is about the relentless pursuit of discovering and doing what makes you come alive. Here are the core principles in the Career Hackers Manifesto.
- See two of our top posts: How to Make a Video Pitch and 100 Ways to Work Out Loud, so you can skip the resume and degree and be your own credential.
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow Joel on LinkedIn
- Want audio? Head to the Daily Job Hunt Podcast.