This post originally appeared as a 5-1 Weekend Issue of the Daily Job Hunt email. Sign up for kick-butt career hype in your inbox each morning.
Mindset for Success
Stay Hungry. Don't just go through the motions of daily life, following the rules, and doing what others expect of you. Feed your fire! No one else is going to do this for you.
Consume Once, Act Twice. You can't learn to ride a bike by reading about it, and the same goes for job hunting. You need to actually do it. Take action!
Break the Rules. Ignore job 'requirements' and the like. Most such rules are just suggestions and best guesses anyway. Be bold, focus on creating value and all else falls into place.
Do The Job Before You Have the Job. Find problems you can solve for the company you want to work for and send over the solution. This is the surest way to getting hired.
Links worth checking out
- Layoff Recover Plan (how-to article)
- Doing The Job Before You Have The Job (30 sec example)
- Weekends are Investment Opportunities (growth advice)
- How Stories Beat Resumes (15 min. TED talk)
- Sillicon Valley's Russ Hanneman on Resumes (1 min tongue-in-cheek)
- Igor's Awesome Application to Stir (inspirational landing page)
Quote of the Week
"One day you will wake up and there won’t be any more time to do the things you’ve always wanted. Do it now.”
― Paul Coelho
The Daily Job Hunt
Join 200,000+ readers and get a kick in the inbox every morning.