This post originally appeared as a 4-17 Weekend Issue of the Daily Job Hunt email. Sign up for kick-butt career hype in your inbox each morning.
Mindset for Success
Break down your job-hunt into tiny steps. A clear todo-list with actionable steps gives you clarity and prevents procrastination.
Build social capital. Be curious about people, ask interesting questions, and do favors. Seed your goodwill bank account so you can draw from it later.
Build a brand. Own your public image by having public projects, blogs, videos or a personal website. This way you can control other people's perception of you when they (inevitably) google you.
Pitch a plan. Blow away the hiring manager by actually having a clear plan of what you want to accomplish in the first 30 days on the job.
Links worth checking out
- Committing to Non-Zero Days (5 min. video)
- Send the Email (the awesome power of a simple email)
- Look for Excuses to Write Thank You Notes (micro podcast)
- Running Your Job Hunt Like a Public Campaign (4 min. article)
- Build a Personal Brand in 60 minutes (start with a website)
Quote of the Week
"Do everything in public and for the public. The more people you reach, the more useful you are.
The opposite is hiding, which is of no use to anyone."
― Derek Sivers
The Daily Job Hunt
Join 125,000+ readers and get a kick in the inbox every morning.