Recapping this week’s DJH
Mindsets for Success
Follow up Follow up
Rather than “waiting” to hear back from a company, ask yourself, “when is the next time I will follow up?”
Choose a game plan where the ball is always in your court.
Phrases to Be More Curious
When you meet people (IRL or virtually), you want to build social capital (create value) with them. A starting point for this is to be curious about that person! Here are some phrases to get you started in expanding your curiosity as you create value:
“I’d love to hear more about…”
“Tell me more!”
“What inspired you do that?”
“What projects are you excited about right now?”
“I love how you…”
Links Worth Checking Out
- 4 Reasons Why Curiosity Is Important and How to Develop It
- Self-Authoring journal program
Quote of the Week
“If you have two or three real passions, don’t feel like you have to pick and choose between them. Don’t discard. Keep all your passions in your life.”
— Austin Kleon
How to Build EQ
Emotional Intelligence (EQ) is a highly valuable skill in the workplace.
But it’s not as if you’re likely to get a direct question about it in a job interview.
Maybe in the future that will be more common, as the culture becomes more open and comfortable talking about emotions, in the moment.
But either way, you have the power to choose your response as feelings arise in the body, and build EQ in your life and career.
The first step of course, is to be aware that feelings are arising in the body.
But how exactly is this helpful in the workplace?
Well, to name a few reasons:
– You can better connect with your colleagues
– You can process feelings so you can make better decisions
– You can validate your customers’ feelings if they were to not like something
– You can stay more in the present moment
And so on.
So, check in with yourself right now….can you feel your body?
That’s the first step to build EQ.
and the DJH Team
The Career Hackers Revolution
- Career hacking is about the relentless pursuit of discovering and doing what makes you come alive. Here are the core principles in the Career Hackers Manifesto.
- See two of our top posts: How to Make a Video Pitch and 100 Ways to Work Out Loud, so you can skip the resume and degree and be your own credential. See more on the Start Here page.
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow Joel on LinkedIn
- Want audio? Head to the Daily Job Hunt Podcast.