DJH: are you stuck in this trap?
Recapping this week's DJH
Mindsets for Success
Let go of 9-5
If you want to be a 21st century value creator, let go of the 9-5 mentality.
Especially with remote work, what matters is not the numbers of hours you work but the amount of value you create.
Create > Complain
If you don't like your job, then go do something about it. End the complaining, start the creating.
Start building social capital.
Start a website.
Start a bootcamp.
Start seeing yourself as Me, Inc.
Start knowing that you are the predominant creative force in your own life.
Links Worth Checking Out
- "I've been looking for someone like you for 20 years" (1 min. clip on free work)
- Career Hackers Manifesto
- How to Get a Job at a Small Company (Seth Godin post)
Quote of the Week
“Don’t compare your path with anybody else’s. Your path is unique to you.”
― Ram Dass
*Go from Beginner to Web Developer (with job guarantee)
Walt Disney was right - you can do anything you put your mind to.
That means if you grew up in poverty, you can become wealthy.
That means with no college degree, you can break into a tech career.
And it means with Springboard’s Foundations to Core course, in only 11 months part-time, you can become a professional web developer with absolutely no prior knowledge.
Oh and you’re guaranteed a job or your money back.
As a Springboard full-stack web development bootcamp student, you can expect
- Job guarantee - land a job or get your money back
- Flexible schedule - 100% online, self-paced
- Mentorship from an experienced full stack software developer
Over 40% of Springboard software engineering students do not hold a college degree. And the average grad increases their salary by $26,559.
February cohort spots are filling up.
Apply now. Use code CAREERHACKERSSB for $500 off tuition.
“Learning with Springboard was really fun. I never felt like I was in a position where I didn't have the tools to learn something.”
- Geraldo Gomes
The Identity Trap
It's easy to get stuck in an identity that others expect of you. This is known as The Identity Trap.
You're a lawyer for 10 years, everyone respects you, so you think "I am a lawyer."
Everyone likes it when you tell jokes. So you think, "I'm a funny person."
Or, you take pride with your ethnic group, and you assert, "I am a proud member of group X."
But the question is, do you want such identities? Or are you trapped by the expectations of others?
The truth is you are not any label.
You are a unique person who has never existed before, and will never exist again.
You can let go of the The Identity Trap anytime you wish.
Do what you want. Change careers. Quit your religion. Write a novel. Begin traveling. Start a family. Audition for a reality show. Move to Mexico.
The question becomes, what makes you come alive?
Forget everyone else. Be you.
The Career Hackers Revolution
- Career hacking is about the relentless pursuit of discovering and doing what makes you come alive. Here are the core principles in the Career Hackers Manifesto.
- Keep the convo going. Follow us on TikTok, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Tired of getting ghosted on your job hunt? Our friend David just built a step-by-step course on how to land a 90% response rate for your job applications - the 6 Figure Video Resume. Use code CareerHackers for a whopping 50% off!
- Sick and tired of your negative self-talk? Sign up for a free trial of 1-1 coaching.
- See two of our top posts: How to Make a Video Pitch and 100 Ways to Work Out Loud, so you can skip the resume and degree and be your own credential.
- Want audio? Head to the Daily Job Hunt Podcast.
- Can't get enough? Get the DJH Sunday Special for extra mindset juice.
The Daily Job Hunt
Join 125,000+ readers and get a kick in the inbox every morning.