Recapping this week’s DJH
Mindsets for Success
Skip the backup plan?
The truth is Plan B will probably pull your attention from your Plan A.
What if you let go of needing a backup plan? What if you set sail and trust the winds will catch you?
Maybe life is so short that going 110% into your dreams is worth doing.
Instead of, “what can I get from this situation?” think, “how can I give value in this situation?”
Links Worth Checking Out
- 23 Tips to Crush Your Career in 2023 (CH post)
- 57 Questions to Ask in the Interview
- Deschool yourself (podcast)
- Hubstaff Talent Network (find remote job opps)
Quote of the Week
“The person that gives the value first has the leverage.”
— Gary Vaynerchuk
*Where Will You be in 1 Year?
We overestimate what we can do in 1 day, and underestimate what we can accomplish in 1 year. So as you kick off 2023 with big plans to change your life, be sure to pace yourself.
Plus, you’ll be guaranteed a job or your tuition will be refunded.
Learn more. Use code CAREERHACKERSSB for $500 off tuition.
Just-In Case Learning vs. Just-In-Time Learning
In school you learned a bunch of stuff, just in case you’ll need it later.
But you forgot most of it anyway, right after you finished the test!
What a waste of human energy, yeah?
That’s known as Just-In-Case learning, and it doesn’t help you in your career, because you don’t have a real-world application of the knowledge.
A better way to approach growth and skill development is Just-In-Time learning.
This means saying, “I’m going to start a podcast, so now I’ll go learn how Audacity works for podcast editing.”
Or “I want to break into marketing, so I’ll go start creating mock ads for a company to build my copywriting skills.”
Or, “crap, my car died. Let me YouTube how to jumpstart a car.”
When the problem is pressing, you’ll have a reason to actually learn it.
How can you start to apply this in your life and career?
and the DJH team
The Career Hackers Revolution
- Career hacking is about the relentless pursuit of discovering and doing what makes you come alive. Here are the core principles in the Career Hackers Manifesto.
- See two of our top posts: How to Make a Video Pitch and 100 Ways to Work Out Loud, so you can skip the resume and degree and be your own credential.
- Follow us on TikTok, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Sick and tired of your negative self-talk? Sign up for a free trial of 1-1 coaching.
- Want audio? Head to the Daily Job Hunt Podcast.
- Tired of getting ghosted on your job hunt? Our friend David used Video Resumes to land his last two jobs and double his salary in one yea. He’s just written an eBook that tells how he did it and ways that anyone can use a video resume to get their next job. You can get 50% off this eBook with the code: CareerHackers