Recapping this week's DJH
Mindsets for Success
Quit polishing and preparing that project. When in doubt, just ship it!
Tech Stack to Stand Out
A great way to stand out on the job hunt is to show your tech stack. For example, if you want a customer support role at a startup, you might want to learn Zendesk or Intercom. You can learn the basics of a tool by watching a Youtube video about it, then show what you learn by writing a blog post (with screenshots or screencast of what you learned!).
Then send that to the company (forget the resume). Show, don't tell!
Links Worth Checking Out
- G2 Stack (learn a company's tech stack)
- How to Think Outside the Box (Max Fosh on landing dream job)
- Product Managing Your Job Hunt (CH Classic)
*Geraldo Gomes: From Oil Rig Operator to Coder
Geraldo was in a stressful career in the oil industry, working on a big drill ship, for months at a time.
With this experience he wasn’t sure he could find a new career path.
But then he heard about Springboard, where you can learn new skills, get mentorship and coaching, and begin a whole new chapter of your life.
After diving into the Foundations to Core course in web development, in about a year, Geraldo was working at an excellent role at a firm, providing for his family (sans oil rig)!
The average Springboard grad increases their salary by $26,559.
As a Springboard full-stack web development bootcamp student, you can expect
- Job guarantee - land a job or get your money back
- Flexible schedule - 100% online, self-paced
- Mentorship from an experienced full stack software developer
Apply now. Use code CAREERHACKERSSB for $500 off tuition.
“Learning with Springboard was really fun. I never felt like I was in a position where I didn't have the tools to learn something.”
- Geraldo Gomes
Meme of the Week
The Greatness of You
Many of us are scared of greatness.
We say to ourselves, "greatness is only for other people." Or "I'll never be truly great."
So we go about living a "pretty good" or even mediocre life.
But the reason we shy away is because we see greatness as comparing ourselves to others.
What if you let that go?
What if all greatness really means, is being the truest, fullest, most alive expression of you?
Your definition of happiness.
That could mean 80% of your time is focused on parenting your children, and then you delight in satisfying customers working customer success part-time.
Or maybe greatness is the unsexy task of waking up and working on creating that podcast for 30 minutes a morning. And then showing up at your retail job and sending a smile to every person with whom you come into contact.
Or, it's pitching your dream company, knocking on their door until they say yes.
Maybe greatness is just about giving your pursuits and projects your undivided, 100% effort and attention.
Don't dismiss greatness, for you get to choose what greatness means.
and the DJH team
The Career Hackers Revolution
- Career hacking is about the relentless pursuit of discovering and doing what makes you come alive. Here are the core principles in the Career Hackers Manifesto.
- Keep the convo going. Follow us on TikTok, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Sick and tired of your negative self-talk? Sign up for a free trial of 1-1 coaching.
- Tired of getting ghosted on your job hunt? Our friend David used Video Resumes to land his last two jobs and double his salary in one year! He's just written an eBook that tells how he did it and ways that anyone can use a video resume to get their next job. There are some valuable tips and examples for anyone who wants to start creating video resumes. You can get 50% off this eBook with the code: CareerHackers
- See two of our top posts: How to Make a Video Pitch and 100 Ways to Work Out Loud, so you can skip the resume and degree and be your own credential.
- Want audio? Head to the Daily Job Hunt Podcast.
- Can't get enough? Get the DJH Sunday Special for extra mindset juice.
The Daily Job Hunt
Join 125,000+ readers and get a kick in the inbox every morning.