DJH 553: create value without permission
Go the Extra Mile
What if you went the extra mile in your job?
- Create an extra project no one assigned you to
- Go out of your way to build social capital with a colleague
- Mock up a new website design
- Write a blog post about why you enjoy working at your company
You might say, "what's the point of doing extra work?"
To that I say, "what new level of fulfillment will you feel by creating value without permission?"
It's Not Your Job to Tell Yourself "No."
How many times have you given up, or never even started the thing you want, be it pitching a dream job, starting a business, or asking out someone on a date.
You're getting in your own way, by saying "no" to yourself.
Here's a simple tip from James Clear on how to break that habit.
"From what I can tell, we all doubt ourselves from time to time. The problem, of course, is that telling yourself no prevents you from getting started at all. When you decide not to act, you deny yourself opportunities."
How To Stand out on the Job Hunt in 2023 is sold out! Join the waitlist to get first access to the next live event.
We're excited to see you there! If you couldn't reserve your seat this time, don't worry. We have more live events coming!
Join the waitlist and gain first access to the next live event.
Tweet of the Day
The Career Hackers Revolution
- Career hacking is about the relentless pursuit of discovering and doing what makes you come alive. Here are the core principles in the Career Hackers Manifesto.
- See two of our top posts: How to Make a Video Pitch and 100 Ways to Work Out Loud, so you can skip the resume and degree and be your own credential. See more on the Start Here page.
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow Joel on LinkedIn
- Want audio? Head to the Daily Job Hunt Podcast.
The Daily Job Hunt
Join 125,000+ readers and get a kick in the inbox every morning.