DJH 511: stop networking
Good golly, miss molly, please stop "networking."
Admit - the idea of networking connotes transactions, building relationships based on trying to "get" something, and removes radical authenticity.
Just focus on being yourself, creating value, growing yourself, and becoming genuinely interested in other people. And your professional tribe will grow organically.
Pitch a design role (yes, you're qualified)
Plenty of remote entry-level design roles are open! Maybe do a 14 day design challenge to build your portfolio, then pitch one of these opps! That simple. :)
*Become a Coder | $0 Tuition Until You’re Hired
Modern life can no doubt be stressful, demanding, and draining, especially if you’re supporting a family.
But does that mean you need to ignore your own goals and dreams?
What attitude will you choose?
A woman named Danielle chose one of empowerment. To change careers into tech, she started the BloomTech program as a parent, watching the kids during the day and learning data science part-time in the evenings. She said,
“Anyone can be part of the program, no matter whether they have kids, or if coming in with no experience at all….Your kids and your family see what you’re doing, and [it’s so great] to be able to set that example that you can make that change....I’m so grateful to BloomTech.”
With BloomTech, you can break into tech with a world-class, proven support system.
- No tuition until you’re hired (terms apply)
- Gain the skills employers want—no fluff
- Build your portfolio with real projects for real clients
- Take a test drive with a 3-week free trial
Quote of the Day
"Networking is overrated. Become first and foremost a person of value and the network will be available whenever you need it."
— Naval Ravikant
The Career Hackers Revolution
- Career hacking is about the relentless pursuit of discovering and doing what makes you come alive. Here are the core principles in the Career Hackers Manifesto.
- See two of our top posts: How to Make a Video Pitch and 100 Ways to Work Out Loud, so you can skip the resume and degree and be your own credential. See more on the Start Here page.
- Want audio? Head to the Daily Job Hunt Podcast.
The Daily Job Hunt
Join 125,000+ readers and get a kick in the inbox every morning.