DJH 452: what are soft skills?
Creating Is Healing
Most of us got creatively wounded going through K-12 school:
- do mandatory assignments
- sit still
- wait for permission to use the restroom
- suppression of emotions and opinions
- little time for play
We got hammered with these messages for 12 years!
How do we make a comeback, and return to our whole, creative, and alive selves?
One way is to just start creating.
Cook a fresh meal, write a blog post, start an Etsy business, build a pitch deck for a company, or write a short novel.
As you create, you'll want to create more!
And you'll become who you really are.
What are Soft Skills?
92% of companies value soft skills equally or more than hard skills!
Here's an overview of what soft skills are along with a long list of them. Take inventory of your strengths, and what you can work on!
Where Will You be in 1 Year?
We overestimate what we can do in 1 day, and underestimate what we can accomplish in 1 year.
So as you kick off 2023 with big plans to change your life, be sure to pace yourself.
That’s what Springboard can do in 11 months for you, with their Foundation to Core program to launch into a web development career.
Starting from ground zero (no skills), working a little bit each day, each week, and each month, you could look up on New Year’s Day 2024 with an amazing new job and career.
As a 100% online and self-paced program, you can choose your hours and work around your current responsibilities (be it another job, a family, or…. walking your beloved dog).
Plus, you’ll be guaranteed a job or your tuition will be refunded.
Apply now. Use code CAREERHACKERSSB for $500 off tuition.
(A year from now, you will wish you had started today).
How to Make a Video Pitch - Live Workshop
Sick of sending resumes? Tired of never hearing back, or getting ghosted? It’s time for a NEW approach to job hunting. Enter the video pitch, where you can cut through the noise and 10x your interview rate. At this Career Hackers live workshop, Jan. 12 4pm EST, learn the do’s and don'ts of how to make and send a video pitch, and get hired faster.
CH Classics: 4 Outdated Job Search Steps
When you're job hunting, you are selling yourself.
In this CH Classic: 4 Outdated Job Search Steps, you'll learn:
"....adopt a sales mindset during the application process and you’ll 10x your chances or more”
"Resumes are dead and it's no longer enough to list your qualifications in a bullet-pointed list as it’s almost impossible to effectively communicate your potential in it.
You are going to be disappointed if you expect your resume to do all the work. Everyone has a resume and it’s hard to make yours stand out from hundreds of them."
Quote of the Day
"Ask not what the world need but what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
— Howard Thurman
The Career Hackers Revolution
- Career hacking is about the relentless pursuit of discovering and doing what makes you come alive. Here are the core principles in the Career Hackers Manifesto.
- Keep the convo going. Follow us on TikTok, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Tired of getting ghosted on your job hunt? Our friend David just built a step-by-step course on how to land a 90% response rate for your job applications - the 6 Figure Video Resume. Use code CareerHackers for a whopping 50% off!
- Sick and tired of your negative self-talk? Sign up for a free trial of 1-1 coaching.
- See two of our top posts: How to Make a Video Pitch and 100 Ways to Work Out Loud, so you can skip the resume and degree and be your own credential.
- Want audio? Head to the Daily Job Hunt Podcast.
- Can't get enough? Get the DJH Sunday Special for extra mindset juice.
The Daily Job Hunt
Join 125,000+ readers and get a kick in the inbox every morning.