DJH 450: did you lose your job?
What do Do Right When You're Laid Off
1) Be aware of your thoughts and feelings. Breathe. Let yourself take in the facts and feel any feelings.
2) Take at least 1-3 days to decompress. Take a long walk or two. Reflect on your previous role and what you enjoyed, learned, and where this might take you next.
3) Inventory your strengths. Form your story and clarify your interests and purpose.
4) Reflect on 3-5 companies you might LOVE to work for. Listen to your gut. Think big. Forget about job postings, job descriptions, or if you're qualified.
5) Research one of the companies for at least 1 hour. Learn their mission, history, team members. Read their blog and listen to their podcast. Go on Craft.co and Crunchbase to see their financials and tools they use. Figure out what their current needs might be.
6) Create a 60 second video pitch
7) Email it to the hiring manager.
8) Follow up every 2-3 days until you hear back.
9) Crush the interview. Send thank you notes abundantly.
10) Negotiate the offer like a champ.
You got this! We're here to help.
How to Learn to Love Learning
Unfortunately, you likely went to school, and learned that learning was a chore.
To grow your career, you'll want to shed that, and rekindle your natural curiosity!
Read this in depth post from Shannon on Career Hackers, Learn to Love Learning.
Stop Applying, Start Interviewing
You probably know that to land a job, it often helps if you get a warm intro to a company.
Ramped Careers can help with that, completely free!
When you join Ramped, you can not only build relevant skills and practice for interviews, you'll gain access to Ramped's network of employers, so you'll have special consideration for a job.
The Career Hackers Revolution
- Career hacking is about the relentless pursuit of discovering and doing what makes you come alive. Here are the core principles in the Career Hackers Manifesto.
- Keep the convo going. Follow us on TikTok, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Tired of getting ghosted on your job hunt? Our friend David just built a step-by-step course on how to land a 90% response rate for your job applications - the 6 Figure Video Resume. Use code CareerHackers for a whopping 50% off!
- Sick and tired of your negative self-talk? Sign up for a free trial of 1-1 coaching.
- See two of our top posts: How to Make a Video Pitch and 100 Ways to Work Out Loud, so you can skip the resume and degree and be your own credential.
- Want audio? Head to the Daily Job Hunt Podcast.
- Can't get enough? Get the DJH Sunday Special for extra mindset juice.
The Daily Job Hunt
Join 125,000+ readers and get a kick in the inbox every morning.