Be Playful on the Job Hunt
One of the problems with the K-12 school system we endure is that it teaches us to be studious, not playful.
It teaches us that work and learning are a chore.
But in reality, learning is best when it is playful, fun, creative, positive, and in the moment (i.e. flow state).
So how do you apply that to your job hunt?
Let go of the heaviness of it.
Instead, have fun!
Instead of “I HAVE to get a job,” say “I GET to get a job!”
See what happens when you, say,
- start a little podcast documenting the process of job hunting itself!
- create a skit on a TikTok video showcasing why a company’s product is awesome, then send it
- blog about the top 5 ways company Z is world-class
- send lunch to the team, along with a video expressing your interests in joining that team
Be interesting and imaginative! Just don’t send a boring-ass resume.
Learn to Code (you can do it)
It’s amazing what you can accomplish when you are motivated, and you dive deep.
For example, it only takes 30 hours of focused concentration to learn to read (but the standardized school system makes it take way longer).
Well, same with career launch! You don’t need to spend years and years going to get a degree.
To learn to code, you can join a bootcamp like Coding Temple (rated Best Coding Bootcamp in 2021 by Career Karma), and learn real skills fast.
With part-time, full-time, and self-paced options, you can dive into courses in Software Engineering, Data Analytics, and Blockchain.
Successful grads have entered the program from a wide array of ages, backgrounds, and career levels. They work at companies like LinkedIn and Salesforce.
Future-proof your career and learn more now.
Use code CareerHackers for the following discounts on tuition:
“As a true beginner coming from a completely different background, I am so glad I went with Coding Temple. They have unbelievable support here for their students and also for their graduates. The staff are amazing, the instructors are down to earth, relatable, endlessly patient, and knowledgable, the post grad support is unlike anything I’ve ever expected, just above and beyond. My only regret is not joining sooner!”
—Tatiana, 2022 grad
How to Work From Home: 13 Tips to Stay Productive
Working from home gives you more freedom, but it also presents new challenges, e.g. you may not have that in-person connection time to recharge your mind.
“One 2011 study found that workers who took two short breaks stayed consistently productive when given a particular task to complete, but when it came to the group who took no breaks, ‘performance declined significantly over the course of the task.'”
Find a Job Faster
You probably know that to land a job, it often helps if you get a warm intro to a company.
Ramped Careers can help with that, completely free.
When you join Ramped, you can not only build relevant skills and practice for interviews, you’ll gain access to Ramped’s network of employers, so you’ll have special consideration for a job!
P.S. Check out my interview with Ramped Careers co-founder Danny Leonard, from our Supercharge Your Career event. It was PACKED with gold nuggets.
Meme of the Day
The Career Hackers Revolution
- Career hacking is about the relentless pursuit of discovering and doing what makes you come alive. Here are the core principles in the Career Hackers Manifesto.
- Keep the convo going. Follow us on TikTok, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Sick and tired of your negative self-talk? Sign up for a free trial of 1-1 coaching.
- See two of our top posts: How to Make a Video Pitch and 100 Ways to Work Out Loud, so you can skip the resume and degree and be your own credential.
- Want audio? Head to the Daily Job Hunt Podcast.
- Can’t get enough? Get the DJH Sunday Special for extra mindset juice.