DJH 416: what do you want instead?
What Do You Want Instead?
It's fine to know what you don't want.....
- don't want the job you hate
- don't want the salary you hve
- don't want to live in the state you're in
But what do you want instead?
You need to see in your mind's eye (aka the reticular activating system) what you DO want.
- DO want to work at a certain company
- DO want $100,000 salary
- DO want to live in Arizona
The images and thoughts in your mind will fuel your subconscious to start taking action.
Get clear. Act daily.
Change Your Life in 10 Weeks
You tired of your same old job? Is it time to finally step in a new career direction?
Coding Temple can help you find your purpose, hone your skills, and guide you to a new career
In 10 weeks, you can change your life (once and for all).
With courses in Software Engineering, Web Development, Blockchain, and Data Analytics, you can future-proof your career and break into a lucrative role in tech.
Backed by a 100% job guarantee, you'll get access to lifetime career support upon graduation.
97% of grads land a job within 9 months of finishing the program.
Future-proof your career today.
Use code CareerHackers for up to $500 off on tuition.
“As a true beginner coming from a completely different background, I am so glad I went with Coding Temple. They have unbelievable support here for their students and also for their graduates. The staff are amazing, the instructors are down to earth, relatable, endlessly patient, and knowledgable, the post grad support is unlike anything I've ever expected, just above and beyond. My only regret is not joining sooner!”
- Tatiana, 2022 grad
A great way to build your online brand is to do short book reviews.
Learn. Out. Loud!
Signal your creativity, proactivity, and how you think and communicate. Soft skills matter to companies!
Here are 100 ways to work out loud. Numbers 10-25 below.
10. Create a tool (online or physical) to help others interested in the same thing.
11. Do behind-the-scenes blog posts showing your approach and works-in-progress.
12. Draw a comic about it.
13 Write a song about it.
14. Go on Google, find someone else interested in that topic, and send them an email asking a question. Start a conversation.
15. Find an article that person wrote, share it on Twitter or Facebook, and tag them. Shoutouts are fun!
16. Write a post about the ten best people to follow in that space.
17. Answer questions about it on Quora.
18. Find a subreddit about it on Reddit. If there isn't one, create it!
19. Read the top five books about the topic.
20. Review those books on Amazon.
21. Write long-form reviews of the books on your blog.
22. Write one-sentence or one-word reviews for Twitter.
23. Start a Tinyletter or Substack email about it.
24. Start a publication about it on Medium. Invite others to post there. Request permission to pull standalone articles into the publication.
25. Build a website all about the topic. Link to books, videos, tutorials, podcasts, etc.
Career Hackers Slack Group
Well, not to toot our own horn, but....
The Career Hackers Slack is the place to be if you want to connect with other path forgers, other relentlessly creative and empowered professionals who want to make a dent.
You can also get personalized feedback or advice directly from the Career Hackers team.
Get in there now. No cost to join.
Quote of the Day
"Success isn't always about greatness. It's about consistency. Consistent hard work leads to success. Greatness will come."
— Dwayne Johnson
The Career Hackers Revolution
- Career hacking is about the relentless pursuit of discovering and doing what makes you come alive. Here are the core principles in the Career Hackers Manifesto.
- See two of our top posts: How to Make a Video Pitch and 100 Ways to Work Out Loud, so you can skip the resume and degree and be your own credential.
- Want audio? Head to the Daily Job Hunt Podcast.
- Can't get enough? Get the DJH Sunday Special for extra mindset juice.
The Daily Job Hunt
Join 125,000+ readers and get a kick in the inbox every morning.