This post originally appeared as issue 24 of the Daily Job Hunt email. Sign up for kick-butt career hype in your inbox each morning.
A little EQ
Hey, maybe you’re stressed out right now, because you’re trying to get a job.
That’s totally cool. You’re not the only one.
When you feel unwanted feelings, be sure to allow rather than suppress.
1. Be aware of the sensation, and maybe give it a name (e.g. stressed, frustrated, tense, guarded).
2. Accept it. Avoid pretending it’s not there.
Move through these two steps and you’ll be ready to rock ‘n’ roll on the job hunt. Then have fun!
P.S. Companies love EQ.
If we were to sum up our job hunt mindset, it would be forward tilt. This phrase comes from a story of a business owner who says he hires people when he sees them leaning in with enthusiasm during an interview.
This can’t be faked, though. Hone it from within! To do that, binge on the 50 episodes of Forward Tilt podcast. Each is a 5-10 minute gem. Here are top shows:
- Get S*** Done
- The Past Isn’t Written Yet
- You Will Never Be a Perfect Job Candidate
- It All Started with Daily Blogging
- Your Reputation is Your Resume
Quote of the Day
“The Internet killed degrees because it brought the cost of information so low that now anyone anywhere can build a better signal than a degree through a digital footprint, brand, or body of work.”
― Isaac Morehouse, Crash Your Career