djh: how to land any job even as a high school dropout 😮
Recapping this week's DJH
Mindsets for Success
Have More Fun
One of the problems with the K-12 school system we endure is that it teaches us to be studious, not playful. It teaches us that work and learning are a chore.
But in reality, learning is best when it is playful, fun, creative, positive, and in the moment (i.e. flow state).
So how do you apply that to your job hunt? Let go of the heaviness of it.
Instead, have fun! Instead of "I HAVE to get a job," say "I GET to get a job!
Check Your Habit Triggers
What's the trigger for when you start scrolling social media, without purpose?
Is it after lunch?
After waking up?
During your break at work?
It's not that "scrolling is BAD".... but what could you do instead?
What if right after lunch.....you create a 1 sentence blog post?
What if right after you wake up.... you just took a deep breath?
Choose your habits, and use triggers in your favor.
Links Worth Checking Out
- CH Classic: Eight Basic Skills That Will Pay You Handsomely
- 13 tips to stay productive at home
- Ditch Your Resume – Build A Pitch Deck
Quote of the Week
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines! Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover!”
— Mark Twain
Build a Signal
Most people are VERY qualified to land an entry level job, but they just need to prove it.
If you're a high school drop out who's only experience is mowing lawns when you were 11, you can still pitch your way into an entry level tech role.
It just takes initiative.
It takes you signaling the type of person you are.
Enter the power of portfolios. Here are ideas to showcase your value and be your own credential.
- Write a blog post about the "6 Lessons Learned Mowing Lawns"
- Write a blog post about "Why I Left High School to Forge My Own Path"
- Create a short intro video sharing stories about obstacles you've overcome
- Build a website
- Create a professional email address (e.g. firstname.lastname at gmail.com)
- Take 1 photo of a flower each day for 30 days and post in an online gallery
- A tailored 30 second video pitch to 1 company you love
Some of these might seem weird.....how will they get you a job?
Well, when you see everything is a signal, you realize you have much personal power.
A new professional email address signals your level of commitment and pride.
30 flower pictures shows your consistency and creativity and personality.
A blog post showcases your reflection, writing skills, and willingness to go above and beyond.
Most people don't do these things!!! You will stand out, if you do them!
The question is will you do them, or will you just be like everyone else?
and the DJH Team
The Career Hackers Revolution
- Career hacking is about the relentless pursuit of discovering and doing what makes you come alive. Here are the core principles in the Career Hackers Manifesto.
- Keep the convo going. Follow us on TikTok, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Sick and tired of your negative self-talk? Sign up for a free trial of 1-1 coaching.
- See two of our top posts: How to Make a Video Pitch and 100 Ways to Work Out Loud, so you can skip the resume and degree and be your own credential.
- Want audio? Head to the Daily Job Hunt Podcast.
- Can't get enough? Get the DJH Sunday Special for extra mindset juice.
The Daily Job Hunt
Join 125,000+ readers and get a kick in the inbox every morning.